Sunday, September 6, 2009

SWF, BMI, Recipes, Calorie Calculator

I made it for a solid 60 hours on just water before I gave in and decided to eat a little. At work I had a cup of egg drop soup which cost me 70 calories, and then at home I had a toaster strudel (190 calories) because my roommate made an extra one for me. I would've weaseled my way out of it if I hadn't had that soup... I guess I just figured that since I had already given in, a little more wouldn't hurt.

Wrong. That is the worst mentality I can have and it needs to stop. A little more will hurt. A little more is how I got to where I was. One more scoop of ice-cream, another handful of chips, just a bit more mayonnaise... ugh. It makes me sick to think about. If I imagine all the foods I've had just "a little more" of in the past month, I'd probably have a buffet of condiments and desserts. Disgusting.


Starting weight: 165.0lbs / 74.8kg, 25.8 BMI
Current weight: 157.4lbs / 71.4kg, 24.6 BMI
Short term goal: 120.0lbs / 54.4kg, 18.8 BMI
Long term goal: 110.0lbs / 49.8kg, 17.2 BMI

Half a cup of egg drop soup, 70 calories. One strawberries and cream toaster strudel with icing, 190 calories. I haven't weighed myself since eating those items and it's been only about 12 hours since then. I feel some stomach pains but it's not because I'm hungry. It's the sort of feeling you get when you have indigestion and need to use the restroom. :/

But I've read that this feeling is pretty common. That's what happens when your body has nothing to expel, and then suddenly you stuff it with food again. I plan on doing a 48 hour water fast and then a good old fashioned salt water flush. There are tons of instructional articles about it on the internet, but I find that this is the most informative. I'll sum it up with a few extra tips...

Ingredients: 1 quart of water, 2 teaspoons of sea salt/unrefined salt/organic salt/pretty much anything besides iodized table salt. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 6 HOURS TO DEVOTE TO THIS.

The reason you don't want regular table salt is because your body will absorb it like it absorbs food. The goal is to make this mixture about the same density as your blood so that it will quickly flow through your system and wash everything away. Your body can't process sea salt, which is why they tell you to never drink ocean water if you're stuck out at sea. It'll just make you dehydrated.

1. Heat up the water and mix the salt in. It's not rocket science; luke-warm faucet water should do just fine. If you're deathly afraid of tap water, pour bottled water into a cup, add the salt, stir and stick it in the microwave for a minute or two. If you feel like being fancy you can even break out a saucepan and combine the salt and water in there. (Not a bad idea if you want to give someone the illusion that you're cooking. You could be preparing some water for pasta!) Whatever you'd like to do to heat that baby up and get the salt mixed in.

2. Park yourself somewhere and get that quart of delicious salt water inside of you. Some people prefer to chug it while others handle it about a cup at a time. However you do it, just make sure you get the whole thing down within a half hour. Your stomach is going to be pissy because it's not used to being so full, and your tongue is going to hate you since it tastes like poop... but the wonderful amount of cleansing and quick weight loss will be so worth it! If you think you're going to gag, slow down a little. It's no good if it comes back up.

3. After you get it down, lay on your right side for at least 15 minutes. This will help the solution to flow through your digestive system a little easier. Your stomach should also calm down after a few minutes since the water will begin to move elsewhere. Watch some TV or enjoy a magazine.

4. When you first feel the need to let loose, try to hold it in for a few more minutes! As gross as this sounds, make sure you don't fart. You might get more than you expect. Once you give in and settle yourself in the restroom, be prepared to make trips there for the next several hours. Remember that your body is getting rid of a lot of stuff so it's going to take a while. Once you can go a half hour without any dashes to the toilet you should be ready to carry on normal activities.

I'm hoping the water fast and flush will make up for whatever the soup and pastry did to me. Until then, here are some interesting tidbits that I discovered. Enjoy!

  • Calories burned while sleeping calculator! This will tell you how many calories you burn just by sleeping according to your height, weight, and how long your slept. You can also use this search engine to bring up a calculator for almost any activity (running, reading, yoga.) Apparently I burn 420 calories just by sleeping 6 hours. Nice!
  • Wow! Your average toothpaste/mouthwash has about 20 calories in it (per use). That's because of the artificial sweeteners and flavors (cinnamon, mint, etc.) it has. But as long as you aren't swallowing your toothpaste, I wouldn't worry about this. Any trace calories are easily burned off while you're brushing your teeth.
  • After reading lots and lots about it, I've discovered that most things have calories that don't matter. Lipstick, make-up, etc. does have tiny amounts of calories but they're all such small numbers that the actual act of using them would burn it off. Also, it's not as if you put on these products with the intention of consuming them. That's just common sense. [:
  • Most doctors will agree that the BMI you and I probably use is pretty useless since it's way too general. It doesn't take into account things like bone density. But it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on it for health purposes, so here's a BMI calculator or a chart if you prefer. My BMI is currently 22.3. At my goal weight it would be 17.8. I think I'll stick this in my weight updates from now on.
  • Here are a ton of super healthy recipes. There a few vegetarian ones if that's your thing, but I don't think any are vegan so I found some vegan recipes too! All of these are under 300 calories, with about 40% of them even dipping under the 100 calorie mark. Yay!
After reading through some of those recipes (70 calories for a cup of soup? 67 calories for a dessert?) the idea of eating a little here and there seems decidedly less scary. Maybe after the fast and flush I'll just try and keep my intake to less than 400 calories a day (which can be burned off with six hours of sleep!) If I pick up yoga and start walking, maybe my results will be even quicker. We'll see.

Until next time... [:

No comments:

Post a Comment