Thursday, September 24, 2009

Minnesota Starvation Experiment, Thinspo

There's no weight update for this post since I haven't weighed myself recently. As you may recall, I decided that I'm only going to look at the scale every few days or when I decide to make a change to my eating habits. That way I can really see what works most effectively.

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment can best be summed up as controlled bulimia and anorexia. A group of men were offered the option to participate in a psychological experiment as an alternative to military service. For three months they were allowed to eat normally while their calorie intake and behavior was recorded. Then for the next six months their calorie intake was reduced by half. On average, each man lost 25% of their total body weight. Here are some weight equivalents so you can really picture it...

130 lbs (59 kg) = 97 lbs (43 kg)
150 lbs (68 kg) = 112 lbs (50 kg)
200 lbs (91 kg) = 150 lbs (68 kg)

That means if I were to limit my calories by half, I should be down to 104lbs (47kg) in six months. Know what's sad? I don't think six months is fast enough. Mathematically speaking, if I limit my calorie intake by 75% instead of by 50%... then I should lose 37.5% of my body weight in six months. [ 75 / 50 = x / 25... ] That means I'd be down to around 90lbs in six months. That sounds more reasonable. It means I'd be losing around 9 lbs a month and hit my ultimate goal weight of 99lbs in about three and a half months. Thank you, Mister Ancel Keys (lead investigator of the experiment.) You have done my work for me!

It's also interesting to note that hoarding behaviors were observed in almost all patients. They would become pack-rats that were afraid to throw out anything. I've also read that people say it's hard to concentrate while they're not eating... but check this out: "
The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension, judgment and general cognitive capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity."

Same goes for things like your hair falling out. It doesn't happen in cases like that. Maybe it's just something people use to discourage eating disorders? Maybe it only happens to certain individuals and has to do with how your body works? Maybe it only occurs in extreme cases, like the Holocaust where you're faced with fierce emotional and physical consequences?

There's a huge difference between having friends, family, and a nice warm bed while your stomach is empty by choice... versus being forced not to eat combined with hard labor, death all around you, and no sleep. I think most of the effects of starvation that I read about have to do with cases where the people had no choice but to not eat due to circumstances. It's very rare to be able to see what it's like when you do it out of choice and give your body all the other comforts it needs... a nice shower, water, rest and relaxation, etc. I want to keep documenting this as it applies to me. A normal person living a normal life who chooses to abstain from food. What happens?

I'm re-posting this comment response in case it wasn't seen below. I was silly and went back and edited a former response instead of posting a new one. That might be confusing.

cutelittlefangs: Is that so? Well... they say mockery is the sincerest form of flattery! I think I'm maintaining with such a low intake because I jacked up my metabolism badly by relying on fasting too much. That's why I'm trying to stick with at least SOME intake. Do you happen to have MSN? If you don't want the world to know what it is, just let me know and I'll keep the comment private. [:

I've come to realize that eating NOTHING results in quick and easy weight loss for the first few days... but then you grind to a halt and when you start eating again it's like your body absorbs every little scrap. It's because your body has lowered its energy levels as far as it possibly can. It goes into survival mode and slows everything down to a crawl. If you keep eating SOMETHING, then your body doesn't get the signal to cease and desist. I decided I'll fast here and there while keeping it under 300 calories on all the other days.

Now for some symbolic thinspo!











More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment