Monday, September 7, 2009

How Hunger Works, What Makes You Hungry

So I ended up changing the plan around a little bit. Whether it worked as well or not remains a mystery since I haven't had a chance to weigh myself yet.

Current weight: 156.5lbs / 70.9kg

I did the salt water flush after a 36 hour water fast, then had an Activia Strawberry and Banana yogurt (110 calories) and Light Blueberry Instant Oatmeal Packet (90 calories) after I woke up. I felt so drained and everything seemed to be a struggle. I was constantly light headed and got dizzy frequently. I guess my body didn't take well to the flush.

I've read that you're supposed to drink a lot of juice and eat things like that yogurt afterward to help reintroduce good bacteria to your stomach. I'm guessing that's why I felt so terrible. I'm going to take a nap before I have to go to work and hope that this yogurt and tasty oats did the trick.

After my nap I felt loads better! I also ran across this slide show that had to do with things that can make you feel hungry even though you aren't. I copied and pasted the most important parts below:


  • Time of Day
    Through routine, we condition our bodies to expect breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time each day. Part of the reason you're hungry at noon is because that's the time you've eaten for most of your life. You train your body to expect nutrition at this time.
  • Sight
    Research using MRIs shows that brain patterns of people viewing photos of foods they like and foods they don't like are very different. The body anticipates when food is about to enter the system, and that's why your mouth starts watering.
  • Variety
    Even after eating a large meal, we often "make room" for dessert because a desire for sweets hasn't been satisfied. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of fruit in a salad during a meal to curb a sugar craving.
  • Smell
    Scent is one of the key ways we cue our bodies that food is near. Once the trigger goes off, it can induce the insulin secretion that makes us think we're hungry. Smell and sight alone can activate the feeling of hunger.
  • Alcohol
    Too much beer, wine or liquor can impair judgment, causing us to eat more. Most people who are on a diet will say it's a lot harder to push themselves away from the table if they've been drinking. Also, consider that many alcoholic beverages have tons of calories. An average margarita packs over 500! A regular beer? 250. Think before you drink.
  • Temperature
    The colder the temperature, the more people tend to eat, which is why restaurants often keep thermostats low. Your metabolism drops when it's cold, and eating warms you up. I find this very interesting because I know people like to drink cold water and keep the temperature down in hopes that they'll shiver and burn calories... but it also stops your metabolism so I guess it's a win:lose situation!
  • Refined Carbs
    After a meal heavy in refined carbohydrates, like pasta, the body may crave food again within only a few hours. These foods cause blood sugar to drop, and when our blood sugar is crashing, we're going to be a lot more interested in food in general.

There's also a pretty interesting article called "The Science of Appetite" that explains exactly how digestion, hunger, and taste work. It's a bit long and wordy but it does a great job of breaking everything down medically.

Finally got to a scale and was able to weigh myself. It looks like I'm losing about a pound per day. That's been stable for a week so far. I hope this keeps up!

No comments:

Post a Comment