Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thinspo, Eating out of Bordem

I eat a lot because I'm bored. I really wish I could stop doing that. I love to tell myself, "Why don't you do something more productive instead of eat? Go to the gym. Clean something. Do yoga. Play with the cat. Change the water in the fish tank." Even when I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll try to tell myself, "Call a friend. Read a book. Play a video game. Make a bracelet. Go online. Do ANYTHING besides eat!"

What do I end up doing? Eating.

I'm pretty good at winning that battle when I'm at home. My ultimate weapon is to jump in the shower. (I'm so nuts that I've even done it with clothes on. It's a great waste of time and really gets your mind off food.) Even if I get straight out, I have to worry about getting dressed... doing my hair... all the stuff that getting soaked entails. Most of the time I'm a normal person who gets undressed and runs through the motions, but sometimes I get scared that the tuna in my cabinet will beat me to the bathroom or something.

It's really effective when I dedicate an hour or two out just to spoil myself in the restroom. I'll give myself a manicure and pedicure, do a deep conditioning treatment on my hair - whatever keeps me locked up and away from food long enough for me to forget that I'm hungry. It also has the added benefit of making me look and feel better. This is one of the best and healthiest coping mechanisms I have.

But when I'm at work or school I have to change my tactics. It annoys the hell out of me that there are vending machines every where I go. It bugs me even further that both places allow me so much time for lunch (more than an hour.) If I only had a half hour or twenty minutes it'd be simple to tell myself that I just don't have time to run somewhere and get a bite to eat. BUT NO... with a glorious hour and a half I could sit down at a restaurant, have a meal and take my time getting to my destination.

It doesn't help that my classmates and co-workers tend to do exactly that. They're always going out to eat. When I started all of this I thought I was such a sneak. I always had an excuse up my sleeve. Well... after a year you start to run out of excuses. People start to think that you're sick, weird, or paranoid. That's when I resorted to the fail safe: I'm poor. It works like a charm. Every so often you'll run into a nice person who insists that they buy you something, but even then you can weasel out of it without making too much of a scene (thank you prideful American culture!) Every so often I'll throw in a curve ball of: I promised ______ that I would eat with them after this OR ______ already offered to buy me something. For the most part I just stick to pretending to be poor as dirt. It works wonders.

Theme for today is movement. [:















No comments:

Post a Comment